Sunday 22 April 2012

Final Bakus

  


So I spent 6 and a half straight hours in the studio printing the books. The printer in there is SO SLOW that it took all those six and a half hours of having the printer entirely to myself (minus 10 minutes to let one person use it, and 20 minutes to let another person use it) to print 5 copies of the larger book and 13 copies of the smaller book. Rather disappointing, after having paid ridiculous money for good quality paper, expecting to print about FIFTY copies, at least, in that timespan. But at least I now have lots of spare paper, I guess.

I took one of the large books - for demonstration purposes - and all 13 smaller books to the London Book Fair. 12 of the 13 smaller books were given away, along with my bigger book at some point or another. The other large copies will be sent to my best friend and her little sister who worked together to write the story.

They will also each get a plushie - final photo.

In the Pitt Rivers museum I had noticed that there were quite a few Chinese plush toys that used simple shapes and painted on features. I had some fabric that could be passed through an ordinary printer, so I printed an image of the Baku onto it, sewed a backing of felt on, and stuffed it. The colour rubbed off along a few creases, which I think is due to the fabric being designed for a different type of printer, but all in all I think it worked out well, and I actually kind of like the effect.